Monday, May 10, 2010

I shouldn't be suffering with Age...Rheumatoid Arthristics




"Something I find frustrating is that people can look at you and not realize there's something wrong. People assume arthritis happens only to elderly or older people."

I have sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis,which doesn't show up in blood tests for arthritis. I have it in several joints but mainly in both knees, my right wrist, hands, feet and elbow and it may be affecting my spine a little now. I have pain and swelling in the joints, and my muscle stiffness, especially in the morning.

It started in my right knee when i damaged the cartilage in a car accident in 2001. The knee was sore, swollen and stiff and never recovered. During the next four years I developed pain in my wrists, thumb, feet and ankles, but blood tests for arthritis were negative. My GP prescribed anti-inflammatory painkillers for me.

Treatment
"I started taking an anti-rheumatic drug to slow the progression of the disease. For about 18 months I didn't have to take so many painkillers, but it's getting less effective, I go to the rheumatology clinic every six months to check my progress, an I have monthly blood tests to make sure the drug isn't affecting my liver.

I can walk unaided, though I've developed a limp. After 15 or 20 minutes of walking I get quite sore. I had an embarrassing incident in the cinema recently. I nearly fell over when I tried to stand up. My knee had locked and I couldn't straighten it. My friends had to help me and take me to Emergency Department of the Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment